Paragon GE is looking for a Consultant General Counsel for a Contract role with an Oil and Gas Operator.
The role will be office based in London with 2-3 working days expected per week.
The primary purpose of this role is to ensure that the group of companies and all business transactions are in compliance with the law across all relevant jurisdictions advising of any negative legal implications associated with transactions the company may consider from time to time and ensure that legal decision taken facilitate a positive commercial outcome either through the provision of advice or through direct participation in negotiations. Member of Executive Team and Officer of various UK and offshore subsidiaries.
The position would suit an individual who has experience as a General Counsel for a small to midsized Oil and Gas Operating company. African or international project experience would be advantageous.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ ACTIVITIES:
Management of Legal Department
- Act as primary co-ordinator of all legal issues across the Group and manage all external advice from retained legal services providers globally, ensuring expert advice on high risk issues whilst reducing overall legal expenses
- Establish and manage annual legal budgets
- Work with Human Resources and provide advice on the majority of employment law issues, including reviewing employment contracts, stock options agreements and change of control agreements for key executives
- Liaise with and assist the Companies group corporate secretary with group governance
- Assist Compliance Officer in relation to implementation and compliance with AIM rules and other regulatory requirements
- Manage Legal Counsel and other resources
- Develop intimate knowledge of the Company
- Assist the Finance Department with insurance coverage at group level
- Periodic review the Company’s website and its group data protection policies with the assistance of the Legal Counsel
- Co-ordinate company’s outstanding litigation including defence of legal claims
- Centralize and organize information, automate tasks, and manage risks at group level.
Exploration Permits, Concession and Contracts
- Draft and review Non-Disclosure Agreements across the business
- Negotiate, draft, and review all Petroleum Agreements or others Permits directly with relevant governmental bodies and provide assistance to the Countries’ Managing Directors in this respect
- Accountable for Group’s compliance with all oil and gas licences including Joint Venture arrangements and associated governance
- Negotiate, draft, and review all contracts across the business
- Provide advice to stakeholders on all contracts’ terms including Field Management Agreement (s), project governance and information provision.
- Support to country Managing Directors in the management of and compliance with all Master Services Agreements and other JV agreements
- Assist with project specific legal structure and liaise with relevant counterparts.
- Maintain database and register of all key contracts across the Group, including licences, debt instruments and Joint Venture contracts with the assistance of the Legal Counsel
Support to Growth Projects
- Lead, with external support if required, on legal and contract Due Diligence for potential growth projects
- Support CEO and other Executives to draft, negotiate and implement Heads of Agreements, Sales and Purchases Agreements and Completion documentation for both organic and inorganic growth projects
- Personally accountable for completion of transactions once contracts are executed
- Other duties from time to time
HSE & QUALITY:
- Proactively support company’s commitment to occupational Health, Safety, and the Environment
- Proactively engage in corporate risk management activities
- Conduct activities in accordance with all applicable legislation, regulation and Company policy, codes, and guidelines
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree & postgraduate qualifications in Law
- Qualified Lawyer
Required Experience/ Knowledge:
- Broad knowledge and experience across a wide range of legal issues (including corporate, litigation, due diligence, and employment law)
- Exposure to working across multiple legal jurisdictions
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Conform to corporate culture, norms, and behaviour
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Highly organized; Dual Legal qualification ; Able to handle complexity in a systematic fashion; Willing to support the other Executives including country Managing Directors and get involved in the details;
- Sector Experience preferred but not essential.
Integrity / Problem Solving / Flexibility/ Innovation /Spirit of Enterprise /Excellence orientation /Effective Communication / Delivery & Detail Orientated/ Highly organised/ Service orientation/ Multi-tasker/