Paragon GE is looking for a Group HSSE Manager for a staff role with an E&P company in London.
The role will be based in London with regular visits to site in West Africa
The ideal candidate will have 10+ years of HSSE experience and would have a good mix of Operations HSSE and Corporate HSSE.
Must have experience of creating HSSE policies and implementing them, overseeing a team of HSSE professionals, and a strong background within Mining or Oil & Gas in Africa would be preferable but not essential.
Position Title: Group HSSE Manager
Residential or Rotational: Residential with expected travel
Staff or Temp: Staff
Expected package: To be discussed.
The Group HSSE Manager is responsible for the delivery of key HSSE objectives and the management of HSSE risks within corporate and operational activities.
Ensure the appropriate level of activity, reporting and full compliance to regulations, legislation, contractual obligations, and voluntary standards. Transform and evolve existing practices to ensure that they are aligned with company Values and drive a risk-based, fit-for-purpose and dynamic approach to uphold and deliver HSSE Management Standards, Commitments and Objectives.
Providing support to the West African affiliate to assure continuous development of personnel, promotion of Values and improvement of HSSE performance and culture.
Delivery of the outlined activities to drive a step change in current capability and close existing gaps whilst contributing towards continuous improvement through direct support to the business.
Various interface management which includes internal (Senior Management, wider in-country and HSSE Team) & external (Member associations and standards groups, rating Contractors, Suppliers, Service Providers) that would require excellent collaboration and close cooperation.
Responsibilities & Key Areas of Focus
• Assurance of compliance with relevant legal, regulatory, contractual obligations
• Roll out and assurance of relevant standards and best practice across the Group
• Management of all HSSE related matters at the corporate headquarters based in London
• Accurate and timely reporting to senior management and external stakeholders as relevant and agreed in advance by Line Manager.
• Tracking of performance on all HSSE-related KPIs, quickly tackling any issues
• Manage company corporate risk register
• Improve and sustain a compliance culture among the company in-country workforce covering both employees as well as contractors and service contractors, where HSSE is an enabler delivering solutions to problems and providing the appropriate support to see these solutions through.
• Organise corporate-wide training on key issues including Emergency Response
• Organise and manage HSSE related internal and external audits, benchmarking, ratings and other relevant independently verified standards to ensure company maintains its position as a safe, responsible operator
• Identify, recommend, develop & implement HSSE improvement opportunities.
• Participate in Incident reviews and investigations where appropriate and provide training and quality assurance of incident investigations.
• Directly support activities with significant HSSE risks and the delivery of HSSE specific projects and objectives.
• Collaborate with the company Health and SSE teams on delivery of specific tasks and longer term objectives.
• Promote strong connect across the wider HSSE Organization to ensure continuous cross sharing and leverage of best practices.
• Provides support and guidance to other team members to ensure delivery of results where possible. Builds effective working relationships with others and makes a constructive contribution within immediate team.
• Ensure application of appropriate HSSE, Risk Management and Assurance processes, using commercial judgement, common sense, and a simplification mind-set, understanding the difference between non-negotiable compliance elements (Safety, E&C, Code of Conduct, Law) and operating practices, while always keeping enterprise business value in focus
Qualifications & Experience Required
• MSc/Eng in HSE or related discipline combined with a progressive career in HSE in the extractives industry
• HSE Professional with broad experience with EP, experience with HSE risk aspects of EP and/or management experience within Operations environment.
• Experience with HSSE management in Emergency Response, rejuvenation, operation, & upgrading of existing facilities will also be of added advantage;
• Knowledge and practical application of Emergency Response Protocol
• Practical knowledge and experience with: HSSE Risk Management Framework, Safe Systems of work/Personal Safety, HEMP for Significant Risks/HSE cases
• Deep technical knowledge of HSSE and Business Management Practices including management standards, risk and assurance frameworks, project management, emergency response, incident investigations and root cause analysis, audit, and assurance. Able to develop and implement EP & Industry policies, strategies, and standards.
• Knowledge of Auditing, Environmental quality standards, Environmental laws regulations and permits
• Ability to report to senior management and financial/industry groups
• Good knowledge of International Best Practices including ISO and IFC Standards.
• Trained in conducting Risk Management techniques and applying these to Operations scope of work
• Knowledge in Project management techniques, including business planning and evaluation
Competencies & Attributes
• Excellent communication skills in English
• Leadership as well as influencing and coaching skills to assist with health and safety performance improvement initiatives;
• Effective Change facilitator who thinks innovatively & acts decisively, adapting positively to challenges.
• Results?driven, equally comfortable and experienced at working strategically or operationally to drive continuous improvement and operational excellence
• Role model who demonstrates high standards of ethics & professionalism, aligned to Company Values.
• Proficiency in producing clear, legible concise procedures, case notes and reports on organisational health issues, ensuring compliance with confidentiality, professional standards, and data protection legislation.
• Good understanding of local, national, and international environmental regulatory and legislative regimes
• Must be self-motivated and demonstrate drive and structure in order to work with the Leadership Team, own team, and external parties.
• Good interpersonal skills to interact across levels throughout the company and the various external parties.
• Promote company values, behaviours, and leadership qualities through open and honest discussion.
• Practical, pragmatic, able to adopt fit-for-purpose strategies and driven to find solutions.
All professional activities to be undertaken in alignment with our key Operational Values and Spirit:
• Operate responsibly & Safely: ensure all company HSE rules are followed within the team along with our Code of Conduct.
• Empower our employees: ensure that all your team members are given the challenges to reach their potential.
• Increase field life cycles and production: ensure that in collaboration with other departments the focus remains on safety, integrity of our installations and production.
• Adaptable: flexible, innovative, and creative to adapt to new challenges
• Accountable: our people are required to lead by example and take ownership of their work
• Fit for purpose: Our model is to run a lean organisation with streamlined systems to enhance performance while protecting our licence to operate.